Leer en Español
Rescue teams have recovered 10 more bodies from the debris of the building in Surfside, Miami-Dade, bringing the death toll from the partial collapse of the building on June 24 to 46.
At a press conference, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava also said that the number of missing persons now stands at 94, while the number of people located has risen to 200 with new reports.
Up to 200 rescuers are at the site of the 1981 Champlain Towers South, which was completely demolished last Sunday due to the instability of the part that remained standing after the collapse.
The demolition has given a new rhythm to the search operation, as rescuers now have access to the entire site where the 12-story and 40-year-old Champlain Towers South building was located.
On Tuesday, 8 new bodies were reported and now another 10, when for days the maximum was 4 per day.
The mayor said that of the 46 fatalities so far, 32 have been identified and the families notified.
The latest bodies identified are those of Nancy Krass Levin, 76; Jay Kleiman, 52; and Francis Fernandez, 67, all of whom were recovered from the debris last Monday, according to Miam-Dade Police.
Since the collapse of the northeast wing of the building on June 24, only three people were found alive in the debris, and on the first day.
A spokesman for the rescue workers responded with a simple “no” when asked today if they had any indication that any of the people they found dead might have survived some time after the collapse.
With her voice cracking with emotion, Levine Cava once again thanked the rescue teams for their work and dedication and expressed her joy for the fact that they did not suffer any injuries while carrying out their task.
They are “superheroes,” said Levine Cava, who at the same time asked people to keep praying and to keep in their hearts “those who are mourning and those who are waiting” to know about the missing.
The search for these people is “deeply personal, because it is our community, our neighbors and our families.”