It was a fun ride for the Democratic Party. But recent polling shows that black voters are abandoning support for the Biden administration in droves, joining Hispanic voters as minority groups turning against the Democratic presidency.
This may appear to be resilient numbers, but they represent a decline that has the potential to do damage to the Democratic Party’s midterm fortunes.
The Washington Post provided a left-wing perspective on why Biden’s numbers are collapsing with black voters.
There has been little movement on police reform or voting rights protections. Gas prices in her town of Thomasville, Ga., near the Florida border, approached $4 a gallon this week. Her most recent raise was gobbled up by the rising price of everything, including food and rent. And she worries about the students at the school where she works — because, she says, gun control is another thing Biden has not successfully delivered.
The shift indicates that black voters are becoming demotivated to turn out in high numbers to vote for the Democratic Party.
"*" indicates required fields
Writ large, the poll shows much stronger support for Biden in the Black community than among most others groups.But that support is growing less intense among this loyal constituency heading into the midterm elections, and younger Black Americans are significantly less enthusiastic about the president than older ones.
Black registered voters still overwhelmingly support Democratic candidates in the midterms, according to the poll, but they are less likely to say the election matters to them than they did before the Biden-Trump contest, and fewer say they are certain to vote.
Due to the Democrats’ incessant accusations about its nominal opposition party, an incredibly high number of black Americans believe the Republican Party is “racist”: 75 percent. But there is movement in the other direction: 25 percent now say the Democratic Party is “racist.”
The key takeaway is not that black voters stopped believing that the Republican Party is ‘racist.’ This may be a lie that a large number of uncritical voters will believe so long as there is a mainstream media that constantly repeats it. It is that the Democratic Party — the party of slavery, Jim Crow, and the soft bigotry of low expectations — can justifiably be attacked as “racist” in its own ways.
While black voter enthusiasm has dissipated in light of the inflation-ravaged economy, the Hispanic vote is truly crumbling for the Democratic Party.
The president’s highest approval ratings are among the elderly and black Americans, at 45% and 63% respectively. Black Americans are the only demographic that gave Biden a positive approval rating.
But as Hispanic Americans showed, it is possible that the minority group support that the Democratic Party has always relied upon can abandon it. There are only enough times you can accuse your opponents of “racism” to hide disastrous policies before the majority of voters start to catch on.