Leer en Español
Ottawa and Washington reached an agreement to prevent thousands of people from irregularly entering Canada from the US, a senior US official told EFE.
The same source indicated that Canadian authorities will be committed to receiving 15,000 migrants from the Americas over the next year, in accordance with the Los Angeles Declaration on Migration and Protection that the United States, Canada and 18 other countries of the continent signed during last year’s Summit of the Americas.
Washington will, in return, agree to amend the Safe Third Country Agreement, which governs refugee claims between Canada and the United States, to allow Ottawa to turn away irregular migrants.
Currently, a loophole in the agreement prevents the removal of irregular migrants seeking refuge in Canada.
In 2022 alone, 40,000 people entered Canada through Roxham Road, a point on the border between New York State and the Canadian province of Quebec.
In December, it emerged that New York authorities were facilitating the transport of thousands of people to Roxham Road to dispose of migrants in the city.
Quebec’s government, and the opposition Conservative Party of Canada, have said that the arrival of tens of thousands of migrants is unsustainable and had demanded that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau close Roxham Road.
Details of the agreement are scheduled to be announced Friday by President Joe Biden and Trudeau, following a bilateral meeting between the two in Ottawa.
Biden arrived in Canada today, on his first official visit to the country, to discuss with Trudeau, among other issues, the migratory flow between the two countries, the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the humanitarian crisis in Haiti.