Skip to content

Police Officer Dies Following Pro-Trump Raid on Capitol

Policia Capitolio

[Leer en español]

Washington, Jan. 7 (EFE).

A Capitol Police officer who was injured during the assault on the U.S. Congress died on Thursday after more than 24 hours of treatment, meaning there are now at least five fatalities in connection with the incident, official sources have confirmed.

The Capitol Police announced on Thursday evening the death of the officer, identified as Brian D. Sicknick, after several hours of confusion and rumors about the possible death of a policeman.

“At approximately 9:30 p.m. tonight (2:30 GMT Friday), Capitol Police Officer Brian D. Sicknick died of injuries sustained while on duty” in the Congressional assault, a Capitol Police spokesman said in a statement.

Sicknick was injured “while physically confronting the protesters” who invaded Congress, and suffered a “collapse” when he returned to his office, so he was taken to the hospital, the statement explains.

The agent had been working for the Capitol Police since 2008, according to the police agency, who said they are investigating the matter.

"*" indicates required fields

Should Joe Biden resign?*
This poll gives you free access to our premium politics newsletter. Unsubscribe at any time.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

The official confirmation came two hours after the Capitol Police had denied a report by CNN that one of its agents had died as a result of injuries sustained during the event on Wednesday.

Five people have now died as a result of the violence, which took place during a Congressional session that was interrupted to ratify the victory of Joe Biden’s in the November presidential election.

The other four deaths identified by authorities are protesters: Ashli Babbitt, 35, of San Diego, California; Benjamin Phillips, 50, of Ri, Pennsylvania; Kevin Greeson, 55, of Athens, Alabama; and Rosanne Boyland, 34, of Kennesaw, Georgia.

Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department Chief Robert Contee III didn’t give details about the specific circumstances of the deaths, although he said that three were “medical emergencies” and one was a gunshot wound.

The latter was the case of Babbitt, the San Diego woman who died after being shot by a U.S. Capitol Police officer, according to a statement from that body, which is exclusively responsible for the security of the building itself and its surroundings, which are owned by the federal government.

“Medical assistance was provided immediately and the woman was taken to the hospital, where she later succumbed to her injuries,” they added.