Skip to content

More flight delays are anticipated following the FAA outage.

Leer en Español

Following the grounding of thousands of aircraft due to a computer malfunction at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which resulted in cancellations and delays all around the country, flights have resumed.

The FAA ultimately removed the ground halt that had caused confusion for thousands of travelers and a cascade effect that affected airports nationwide for hours.

The FAA stated that the issue was caused by a “damaged database file,” and that “at this time, there is no proof of a cyber assault.”

Although operations have already started, airlines are attempting to move flights in and out of packed gates, and delays are anticipated to last at least until Thursday, if not longer. The length of time that employees may work may also have an effect.

According to Vice President of the Allied Pilots Association Captain Chris Torres, delays may continue into Friday: “This thing was lifted at 9 a.m. Eastern. That doesn’t mean the problem stops at 9 a.m. This is going to cause ripple effects.”

The White House Press Secretary stated that President Joe Biden has requested a “full investigation.”

Pete Buttigieg, secretary of the US Department of Transportation, said in a CNN interview that the FAA halted flights after discovering issues with its Notice to Air Missions System because of “an excess of caution.”

After overcoming the morning’s immediate difficulties, Mr. Buttigieg stated that his main focus now is on figuring out how precisely this happened and what has to be done to prevent it from happening again:

“My primary interest, now that we’ve gotten through the immediate disruptions of the morning, is understanding exactly how this was possible and what steps are needed to make sure it doesn’t happen again,”

According to the FAA, the system gives pilots up-to-the-minute safety information on “closed runways, equipment outages, and other possible dangers along a flight route or at a site that might impact the flight.”

The main source of the problem is still being investigated, according to FAA officials.