fbpx
OMS- Biden- Fauci

U.S. Returns to WHO, the Agency That Concealed the Pandemic

Renowned infectious disease specialist Dr. Anthony Fauci announced Thursday, January 21, that support for WHO will be renewed

[Leer en español]

As planned, Joe Biden’s administration will resume the United States’ relations with the World Health Organization (WHO) despite the fact that this organization has concealed the existence of COVID-19 and supported the Chinese regime.

Renowned infectious disease specialist Dr. Anthony Fauci announced Thursday, January 21, that support for the WHO will be renewed.

“I am honored to announce that the United States will remain a member of the World Health Organization,” Fauci said.

Fauci said the new administration will “cease the reduction of U.S. staff seconded to WHO” and resume “regular engagement” with the agency.

“The United States also intends to meet its financial obligations to the organization,” added Fauci, who referred to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus as his “dear friend.”

He added that the United States will join WHO’s efforts to bring vaccines, therapies and diagnostics to people in need everywhere, and will also resume full funding and staffing support for the agency.

Fauci also said the U.S. plans to join the COVAX vaccine facility that aims to deliver vaccines to poor countries around the world.

“This is a good day for WHO and a good day for global health,” Tedros said, while congratulating Biden and Vice-President Kamala Harris.

“The U.S. role, its role, the global role is very, very crucial,” he said.

On Wednesday, Biden informed U.N. chief Antonio Guterres in a letter that he was retracting Trump’s July 6 notification that the United States planned to withdraw from the agency in 12 months.

“The United States intends to remain a member of the World Health Organization,” Biden wrote.

The WHO chief welcomed the sweeping change, telling the executive board meeting, “WHO is a family of nations and we are all glad that the United States is staying in the family.”

Biden spent much of his presidential campaign warning about the pandemic, and criticized Donald Trump for not taking the disease seriously, and has since announced the creation of a committee of experts to deal with the coronavirus.

The withdrawal of the United States left the WHO without its main donor, which in recent years contributed between 400 and 500 million dollars a year, which means approximately 15% of the total budget of the organization.

Biden condemned the Trump administration’s handling of the pandemic and has now decided to continue paying large sums of money to the WHO, despite claims they concealed relevant information about the virus.

Is the WHO complicit?

The WHO has been the target of harsh criticism for contradictions in the handling of the pandemic since its inception and for allegedly having helped the Chinese regime to hide information.

On January 12th last year, Beijing confirmed the genetic sequence of the virus detected in late 2019 in the Chinese city of Wuhan. On January 13, the first case outside China was reported in Thailand. The WHO assured the world that the chances of the virus leaving the area where it originated were slim.

WHO director general said in February 2020 that COVID-19 wouldn’t become a pandemic. (Twitter)

Despite the agency indicating that there was no conclusive evidence of human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus, infections were spreading rapidly around the world.

An investigation by The New York Times revealed how the agency caved in to China. The report details that the WHO’s own leadership negotiated with the Chinese communist regime to limit research into the virus.

It noted that the WHO agreed that they would not question China’s initial response and also would not visit the live animal market in the city of Wuhan, where the outbreak appeared to have originated. The report also notes that WHO has refused to disclose details of its negotiations with Beijing and has not shared documents with member states outlining the terms of its investigations.

“Internal documents and interviews with more than 50 public health officials, scientists and diplomats provide an inside view of how a powerless World Health Organization, eager to gain access and cooperation from China, has struggled to achieve either,” reads the text

China has won concessions from the WHO, allowing the Asian giant to delay important investigations and sparing it a potentially embarrassing review of its early response to the outbreak, the Times added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Previous Article
Keystone XL

Biden Revokes Permit for Keystone XL Pipeline Construction

Next Article
Stephen King

The Idiot of the Week: Stephen King

Related Posts
Total
1
Share