Skip to content

Timeline and New Details of the Uvalde School Massacre

Leer en Español

[Leer en español]

After several days of the shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde (Texas), in which at least 21 people died, details continue to be revealed about the events and how the attacker, Salvador Ramos, 18, managed to carry out the massacre.

This Friday, the Texas Police offered a press conference in which they expanded the information on the case. The director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, Steven McCraw, acknowledged that it was a mistake not to forcibly enter the classroom where Salvador Ramos was. According to him, it took security agents approximately one hour to enter.

McCraw said it was a wrong decision to wait for the janitor to open the door. He pointed out that the police, after hearing multiple gunshots in the classroom and that the gunshots only went to the door when the officers were trying to gain access, led them to believe that no one was still alive inside except the assailant.

It was also known that students made emergency calls to the authorities to alert them of what was happening. In view of Steven McCraw’s statements, several media outlets made a compilation of how the chronology of events unfolded.

The time of the shooting

The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported that the first call to the police was made at 11:30 a.m. Salvador Ramos entered the school campus at 12:33 p.m. and three minutes later the first officers were already on the scene. From 12:30 to 12:46 p.m., police continued to receive calls for help from the classroom, several of them from a child asking for the authorities to arrive and claiming that there were dead people at the scene.

While authorities were receiving these calls, at least 19 police officers were waiting in the school hallway for authorization to enter the classroom because the head of school security believed that no lives were in danger and that it was better to wait until a tactical team could obtain the keys to the classroom.

It was finally at 12:50 p.m. that the police were able to enter and apprehend the perpetrator of the shooting. According to the police report, Salvador Ramos entered when a teacher left the classroom door open and stressed that in order for visitors to enter, they must be authorized.

WSJ explained that in response to McCraw’s statements, the residents of Uvalde expressed their indignation and sadness for the actions of the police. The director of the Texas Department of Public Safety also referred to the signals given by Ramos that he intended to commit the shooting.

Salvador Ramos’ attitude had already been reported days before the shooting. The Washington Post spoke with relatives of the young man, and they detailed that he was allegedly harassed by a speech impediment. The media assured that he had suffered a complex family life, and sources explained that Ramos became increasingly violent. This information coincides with other sources interviewed by ABC News, which highlighted that he regularly fought with his classmates.

ABC News spoke with Salvador Ramos’ grandfather, Rolando Reyes, 72, who said he did not know that days ago his grandson had bought two AR-15 style rifles or that they were in his house.

Leave a Reply