The United States Tennis Association (USTA) announced Thursday that it will once again allow full capacity at the upcoming US Open, which will be held at the Billie Jean King Center at Flushing Meadows. New York from Aug. 30 to Sept. 12.
In a statement, the USTA said it will welcome all fans to the competition at full capacity after state officials this week lifted virtually all restrictions against Covid-19 due to strong progress on immunization.
This is the first Grand Slam to open without capacity restrictions since the coronavirus pandemic broke out in March last year.
The previous edition of the US Open lacked a crowd, which affected the atmosphere of the matches and the mood of the players, many of them recounted, after recording more than 700,000 attendees in 2019.
“While we are proud to have been able to hold the event in 2020, we miss having our fans on-site, because we know they are a big part of what distinguishes the US Open experience from others,” the organization said in the release.
The USTA further said that interest in tennis has “accelerated with the return of four million players” to the courts last year: “Our sport has rebounded in the most difficult of times and this year’s Open promises to be an unforgettable celebration of the game, those who play it and those who enjoy it.”
This Tuesday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the end of restrictions to prevent the spread of covid-19 – with limited exceptions – coinciding with the time when 70% of adults in this region have received at least one dose of the vaccine.
The US Open will go on sale to the general public starting July 15 and all categories will be available for all 25 sessions of the tournament, including reserved areas.