Leer en Español
Twitter confirmed on Wednesday that, even if former President Donald Trump runs for office again, he would not have access to his account. It argued that the suspension on the platform is permanent.
“As we indicated when we took enforcement action on the account in January, I can confirm that the suspension of our service is permanent,” a Twitter spokesperson told Fox News.
Twitter’s decision to permanently suspend Trump followed the assault on Capitol Hill by supporters of the former president; previously the social media had been systematically censoring several of his posts during the presidential campaign, in what has been described as a move against American conservatives.
“After a detailed review of recent tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context surrounding them, specifically how they are received and interpreted on and off Twitter, we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement to violence,” the company said following the Capitol Hill riots.
The social media’s chief financial officer, Ned Segal, during an appearance on CNBC’s “Squawk Box,” was asked if Trump would be allowed back on the platform should he decide to run for office again.
“If they take him off the platform, they take him off the platform,” Segal said.
During his presidency, Trump used social media to communicate directly with Americans and people around the world. The former president was permanently blocked by Facebook and Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube and other platforms.
Recently, a Time magazine article stated that Vanita Gupta, an official appointed by Biden after assuming the presidency, was meeting with Big Tech owners to set up a “conspiracy” to remove Trump from power.