fbpx
Skip to content

CNN’s Streaming Service Fails Terribly

CNN, El American

Available: Español

[Leer en español]

CNN’s new streaming service has drawn less than 10,000 daily visits within two weeks of its launch, according to reports.

CNN+, which was launched on March 29 in an attempt to halt a precipitous drop in its audience, casts doubt on the network’s future following the recent takeover of its parent company, Warner Media, by Discovery.

The launch of the streaming service came amidst a maelstrom of scandals in which the job of its former president Jeff Zucker was compromised, as well as that of its star anchor, Chris Cuomo, who was dragged into the sexual abuse allegations against his brother, former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.

CNN+’s failure comes despite the network’s attempt to include new moderate panelists, such as former Fox News anchor Chris Wallace.

"*" indicates required fields

Is the Mar-A-Lago raid an unjust witch hunt?*
This poll gives you free access to our premium politics newsletter. Unsubscribe at any time.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

To launch the streaming platform, CNN invested about $250 million, hoping to reach 2 million subscribers in its first year in the market. According to Axios, executives at newborn Warner Bros. Discovery may begin budget cuts to CNN+.

One of Discovery’s moguls, John Malone, said late last year that selling CNN would be a “coward’s way out,” but that he hoped to see a return to “actually have journalists” on the network.

On the other hand, Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav said in February that he would need to see how the app worked before deciding on the next moves.

“I haven’t gotten a business review on what CNN+ is going to be and how it’s going to be offered,” Zaslav said at the time.

Total
74
Share